41 Calm Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
Calm made an estimated $200 million in 2020, a 33% increase from the previous year.
Here’s an overview of the Calm statistics you'll find on this page:
- Calm App revenue & profit
- How many people use Calm App?
- Who owns Calm App?
- Calm App valuation
- Calm App growth
- Calm App employees
- Calm App user demographics
Let’s dive into the stats.
Key Calm App Statistics:
- Calm App generated $200 million in revenue in 2020.
- Calm App has over 4 million users.
- Calm had a valuation of $2 billion in its latest funding round.
- Over 100 million people have downloaded Calm.
- As of 2019 Calm has 50 employees.
- Calm raised $218 million in total funding in 2020.
Calm App Statistics
Table Of Contents
Calm App overview
Calm was founded on May 4, 2012 by Michael Acton Smith and Alex Tew.
The initial spark that showed Calm co-founders there was a market for meditation was simple.
In 2011, Tew became a minor internet celebrity for the websites he created, "Million Dollar Homepage" and "Do Nothing For 2 Minutes", in which a user would stare at a screen and listen to waves on a beach for two minutes without touching/moving their mouse.
Once the two minute timer ended, an email prompt would appear asking people to sign up. Shockingly, in just two weeks, over 100,000 people did. Just a few months later, Calm.com was founded, with the intention of building on Tew's website success.
Calm has always offered free introductory lessons, as well as a monthly subscription for access to the entire archive of lessons.
Even with a small staff size (50 in 2019), Calm struggled early on to break even. And it wasn't until 2018 that meditation apps started making serious apps.
As leaders of the sector, Calm and Headspace generated $70 million in 2017, but that grew in 2018 to $122 million. In fact, the entire meditation industry grew by 306% in that time, according to Sensor Tower.
Calm's rapid growth brought along its ambitions. In 2017, it won Apple's App of the Year award, which helped it rise above its competitor Headspace in revenue and downloads.
Now, the company continues growing with more users, downloads, and revenue every day. The company produces meditation products, including guided meditations, a book, health and meditation videos, as well as a book. Their primary product is the meditation app, available on iPhone and Android devices.
|Total Users||100+ million|
|Launch date||5 April 2012|
|HQ||San Francisco, California|
|People||Michael Acton Smith (co-CEO), Alex Tew (co-CEO), Tamara Levitt (Head of Mindfulness)|
|Industry||Meditation and wellness|
Calm App annual revenue
Here is an overview of Calm App's revenue by year:
Sources: Calm, Entrepreneur, CNBC
Calm App funding (total)
Here is a breakdown of Calm App's total funding:
Here is a breakdown of Calm App's valuation/net worth:
Source: Calm, TechCrunch
How Many Subscribers Does Calm Have?
Here is a breakdown of the number of Calm subscribers:
Source: Calm, TechCrunch
Calm downloads (total)
Here is a breakdown of the number of Calm downloads:
Source: Calm, TechCrunch, SensorTower
Calm vs. Headspace: revenue
Frequently Asked Questions
What country is Calm most popular?
Calm gets over 60% of web traffic from the US. 10% came from the UK.
What are the demographics of Calm?
60% of Calm users are female, and 40% are male.
How old are Calm users?
According to Ivey Business Review, the median age of a Calm user is between 30 and 35.
How many Calm users are subscribers?
Calm's growth can be summed up in three words: innovation, timing, and execution.
Soon, expansion could reach more users and harbor services that result in the platform being a single hub for meditation, relaxation, and sleep.
- 41 Calm Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- 47 Headspace Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- 49 Fitbit Revenue and Usage Statistics (2022)
- 67 Coffee Statistics & Facts For Coffee Lovers (2022)
- 59 Relaxing Meditation Statistics & Facts (2022)
- 53 Mattress Industry Statistics You Must Know (2022)
- How Often Do People Wash/Change Their Sheets? (2022)
- How Many People Have Sleep Apnea? 51 Statistics
- 47 Snoring Statistics & Facts That Will Shock You (2022)
- 51 Yoga Statistics & Facts You Must Know (2022 Industry)