Did you know that the majority of North Americans do not give enough thought or preparation to how we care for our bodies while we read in bed? Our spines in particular end up taking the brunt of the pain as we hunch and slouch while we read page after page of our favorite books.
Here we are going to break down 5 of the best pillows for reading in bed.
These pillows will provide your back and spine with great support, making reading even more enjoyable.
The Two Primary Kinds of Reading Pillows
Did you know that there are two kinds of reading pillows? The first act as a backrest, and the second that can stand alone. This second type can also be used on the floor as well.
Brentwood Originals Poodle Bedrest
Brentwood Originals Poodle Bedrest is a wildly popular choice. It is known for the outstanding support that it provides the readers back and arms. It is a fairly small option and has a handle which makes it easy to take with you when you travel. The standalone base also makes the Brentwood Originals Poodle Bedrest a great option for those who enjoy reading on the floor.
Now, this is not an overly large pillow. It is best suited for someone who is less than 5’7. The pillow cover is a soft chenille and is available in 4 colors.
This option is easy to spot clean. All you need is a damp cloth. That said it cannot go through the washing machine.
What are Some Pros of Brentwood Originals Poodle Bedrest?
- This pillow is extremely soft.
- In terms of visual appeal, it is a pillow that looks good and is strong. It is made with high-quality fabrics and warms quickly.
- The armrests provide support and cradle you. The pillow has a light design and is quite easy to move around. It is a great option for people who spend a lot of time on bleachers at their children or partners sports games.
What are Some Cons of Brentwood Originals Poodle Bedrest?
- While some appreciate its compact size, it is actually very small. Because of this, it might not provide enough support for some.
- Although the fabric is thick and durable the stitching can be quite weak. It cannot go in the washer because of this.
Bed Lounge Classic
The bed lounge classic is considered by some to be a fairly pricey pillow. However, it does offer many options including two size options and mover 15 color varieties. Not only that but the Bed Lounge Classic also comes with an extendable headrest as well as supportive arms.
Unlike a lot of other pillows, the Bed Lounge Classic is designed with a frame inside it. This is there to provide additional support while not weighing it down. The pillow is so light in fact that it only weighs 6.5lbs!
Some people will be interested to learn that this pillow option also comes with a leg lounge that can be purchased in the same color as the pillow. In terms of transportation, the Bed Lounge Classic can be folded up for easy travel and storage.
What are Some Pros of the Bed Lounge Classic?
- The pillow was designed with the input of a doctor. Because of this it truly provides the proper back and spine support that is required when sitting up and reading in bed.
- The Bed Lounge Classic has an adjustable fit and can be purchased in two sizes. Because of this, it can accommodate just about any body size or type. Just about anyone and with two sizes you can personalize this based on your comfort level.
What are Some Cons of The Bed Lounge Classic?
- This seems to be a design that people either love or hate.
- For readers who like to slouch down and curl up while they read, the firm design although great for their posture does not make that easy.
- The design is also cheaply made in a number of ways. Still, this is among one of the most costly pillows on the market.
- The actual cushion is made out of rubber latex which can also cause allergic reactions.
Brentwood Home Pismo Therapeutic Latex Wedge
While the Brentwood Home Pismo Therapeutic Latex Wedge does not cost as much as some of the other pillows on this list it is one of the former options. In fact, this is actually a firmer version of the Lavish Home reading wedge. The pillow is covered in a gentle, knit fabric, which can be removed and thrown in the washing machine. which is removable and washable.
The Brentwood Home Pismo Therapeutic Latex Wedge can be purchased in three sizes. This allows customers to decide how far back they want to lean while they read in bed. This pillow has a design that is just long enough that it provides support to the majority of the back while you are sitting up and reading.
What are Some Pros for the Brentwood Home Pismo Therapeutic Latex Wedge?
- Unlike many foam pillows, this one is exceptionally firm.
- The Brentwood Home Pisco Therapeutic Latex Wedge has a soft cover and can easily be cleaned and cared for.
What are Some Cons of the Brentwood Home Pismo Therapeutic Latex Wedge?
- The pillow’s cover has a tendency to shrink once washed. This can make it difficult to put back on after washing.
- Depending on whether or not you are looking for a pillow that you can sink into or one that provides great support this one might not be for you. This option provides wonderful support and is not one that can be sunk into easily.
LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow
Among the top-selling reading pillows in North America, The LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow is similar in shape to the poodle pillow. However, unlike other options on this list, it is made with shredded memory foam. This material does not absorb smells as easily as fluff pillows do and also provides for better ventilation than latex pillows do. The shredded memory foam gives it a firm feel that still cradles and forms to your shape. The shredded foam allows for better ventilation than the solid latex version which
When it comes to travel and storage, the LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow has a carrying handle and is 18” in height. The cover is plush and soft to the touch. Unfortunately it is not machine washable, however, it can be spot cleaned.
What are Some Pros to the LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow?
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- This option provides significantly more support than the Poodle. It is also a more usable size for most adults.
- It is considered by many to be among the most supportive and comfortable pillows for reading in bed.
- The LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow comes in a neutral color. Not only that but the shredded foam continuously returns to shape. Unlike traditional fluff pillows, it does not bunch up inside.
What are Some Cons to the LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow?
- This pillow does not provide any upper back or neck support.
- The LinenSpa Shredded Foam Reading Pillow is considered to be one of the more expensive options available.
- The pillow arrives flat. Because of this, you have to let the air out and then plump it up before really being able to use it.
Lavish Home Down Alternative Reading Wedge
The Lavish Home Down Alternative Reading Wedge has a relatively classic and simple wedge design. This pillow is washable, with a removable cover. Like the majority of traditional pillows, it is made with a hypoallergenic polyester fluff.
What are Some Pros of Lavish Home Down Alternative Reading Wedge?
- This pillow has a washable pillowcase. This is both a useful and sanitary.
- Unlike a lot of other pillows, this one has two functions and is also quite versatile.
- Cost wise it is quite affordable.
What are Some Cons of the Lavish Home Down Alternative Reading Wedge?
- If you are looking for a firm pillow, this won’t be for you. This is an incredibly soft pillow.
- It does not hold its shape when you lean on it.
- Although the size can be compared to other pillows that provide assistance to people with GERD, this one flattens when body weight is applied.
- It provides a lower amount of back support, providing similar to what one would get having two regular pillows behind them.
- Upon arrival, this style of the pillow has to be aired out for a while in order for it to get its shape.
Why Use a Reading Pillow
Generally, sleeping pillows are not designed to be used for sitting up. They are designed to provide head support while you rest, they do not actually provide the necessary support to your back and spine when sitting up.
So, if you like so many people, enjoy reading in bed before you fall asleep every night, you will want to keep reading.